Child Protection Policy
Newcastle (Staffs) Swimming Club will:
- Promote the health and welfare of children by providing opportunities for them to take part in swimming safely.
- Respect and promote the rights, wishes and feelings of children.
- Promote and implement appropriate procedures to safeguard the well being of children and protect them from abuse.
- Recruit, train, support and supervise its members, employees, volunteers and coaches to adopt best practice to safeguard and protect children from abuse and to minimise risk to themselves.
- Require members, volunteers and employees to adopt and abide by this Child Protection Policy and these procedures.
- Respond to any allegations of misconduct or abuse of a child in line with this Policy and these Procedures as well as implementing, where appropriate, the relevant disciplinary and appeals procedures.
- Review and evaluate this Policy and these Procedures on a regular basis.
The welfare of children is the Club’s primary concern.
- All children, whatever their age, culture, disability, gender, language, racial origin, socio-economic status, religious belief and/or sexual identity have the right to protection from abuse.
- It is everyone’s responsibility to report any concerns about abuse, to the child welfare officer of the club. It is the Swimming Club’s responsibility to liaise with the ASA and act where necessary after taking advice from the ASA and Social Services Department and/or Police. It is the responsibility of the ASA and these agencies to conduct, where appropriate, a joint investigation.
- All incidents of alleged poor practice, misconduct and abuse will be taken seriously and responded to swiftly and appropriately.
- All personal data will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- The Swimming Club has a responsibility to maintain confidentiality in all cases involving child welfare in line with current legislation.
This Policy and these Procedures will be regularly monitored and reviewed:
- In accordance with changes in legislation and guidance on the welfare of children or any changes within the Swimming Club, or the ASA.
- Following any issues or concerns raised about the welfare of children within the Swimming Club.
- In all other circumstances, at least annually.
Who to Contact
Newcastle (Staffs) Swimming Club has one Welfare Officer, Louise Giles. She can be contacted via email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Club Chairman Dave Chadwick email@example.com
Other Useful Numbers & Contacts
Swimline: 0808 100 4001
Child Protection In Sport Unit: 0116 234 7278 : firstname.lastname@example.org
NSPCC Child Protection Line: 0808 800 5000 : www.nspcc.org.uk
Website use of Photographs.
Currently Newcastle (Staffs) Swimming Club uses photographic images of members on this site, these images are only used after very careful consideration and the proper procedures have been followed. We consider it to be beneficial to the individuals and the club to have proper recognition for achievement and anyone associated with swimming will know that it is a very “individual” sport. Whilst swimmers are attending open galas they are representing our club, however this is often done without full club support / representation. It is therefore absolutely vital that these exceptional efforts by our swimmers and their families are recognised, unfortunately there is no time in the training schedule to acknowledge an individual or group for these efforts, this only leaves the notice board and the web site.It is intended that when the web site is fully operational, the majority of images will be stored under a controlled “Members” area.
For any photograph to be used, whether individual or group Newcastle (Staffs) Swimming Club must have parental consent from all subjects if aged under 18. Where consent does not exist for an individual(s) in a group photograph the image may be digitally altered to remove or make indistinguishable that individual(s).
Swimmers shall not be named along with their photograph in a way that allows direct identification, whether that photograph is of a group or an individual.
Any images of swimmers not in a sporting context (out of the water, on poolside or receiving trophies etc.) shall only be used if the image is a “waist up” shot and the swimmer is wearing a shirt or track suit top, alternatively full length shots may be used if the swimmer is wearing a track suit / fully clothed.
Anyone having any concern over the use of any images should email
All photographs must observe generally accepted standards of decency in particular:
- Action shots should be a celebration of the sporting activity and not a sexualised image in a sporting context.
- Action shots should not be taken or retained where the photograph reveals a torn or displaced swimming costume.
- Poolside shots of children should normally be above the waist only in a swimming costume though full length tracksuit shots are approved.
- Photographs should not be taken from behind swimming blocks at the start of a race or exhibit young swimmers climbing out of the swimming pool.
ASA draft guidelines for the use of images on websites currently state:
- It is recommended that individualised photographs should not be kept on a club’s web site and certainly not with identifying names as this could lead to a child being approached and placed in a vulnerable position. The same applies to any club printed materials such as a club’s annual report.
- The only exception to this policy is where the child’s parent or carer provides specific written consent to the Club publishing photographs.
- This consent may be withdrawn at any time and Clubs should take all reasonable steps to respect the wishes of the parent/carer.
Newcastle (Staffs) SWIMMING CLUB is committed to protecting the privacy of its members as well as openness about its information gathering and dissemination practices for the Newcastle (Staffs) SWIMMING CLUB web site.We collect information about our web site visitors via server logs and from the information you supply when you join the club. Information about you or any other individual person will not be sold or rented to any third party, including advertisers. If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your interactions with Newcastle (Staffs) SWIMMING CLUB you are welcome to contact us at: