Development Squad Criteria
All Development Squad swimmers are expected to be fully committed to the following aims and objectives:
Aims of the Development Squad:
- To provide the opportunity for swimmers to gain positive experiences by learning and training together.
- To place swimmers in County competitions, finals and achieve medals.
- To place swimmers on County programmes.
Criteria for entry into Development squad:
- The swimmer shall be prepared to compete in Licensed open meets once 9 years old.
- The swimmer shall be able to perform a track start off a starting block followed by a glide of at least 5m.
- The swimmer shall be able to perform a back-stroke start followed by dolphin leg kick to the surface.
- The swimmer shall have good stroke technique and effective turns in all four strokes.
- The swimmer shall be able to perform a 100m Individual Medley and to swim 400m front-crawl continuously using legal competition turns.
- Minimum attendance of 2 sessions per week.
Objectives of the Development Squad:
- To develop technique and skills on all 4 strokes.
- To develop the technical and mental skills required to assist and improve performance.
- To improve basic aerobic conditioning.
- To develop Individual Medley skills.
- To develop basic speed.
- To participate in an appropriate competition plan.
- To develop knowledge relating to basic swimming mechanics.
- To develop knowledge regarding the importance of nutrition and hydration in sport.
- To maintain and develop appropriate behaviour and responsibilities within an individual and group training environment.
- To develop greater individual responsibility for swimming commitment and performance.
- To be competing at Club Championships and Level 3 Licensed meets
- Target events are all 200m events
(As May 2017)