General NASC Squad Criteria
Swimmers can be considered for entry to each squad by achieving the relevant qualifying criteria and with the acceptance of the squad coach. Swimmers can progress from squads within NASC, or directly from other clubs based on a successful trial.
Measurements will be performed each term to ensure individual standards are maintained and that swimmers are progressing towards their individual goals. If it is felt that a swimmer is not progressing towards ultimately achieving the necessary squad standard, then the swimmer and their parents will be invited to a meeting with the Coach to determine appropriate actions to be taken, which may include a move to a different club squad.
Swimmers improve from three main areas: technique, growth and training. Young swimmers will generally improve from growth and technique alone, however at youth age (14-15 yrs), the number of sessions and volume of swimming becomes essential to improvement. It has a huge effect on performance, strength, skill and fitness. Swimmers not committed to attending all sessions will miss out in these areas, leading to a decline in performance. Although an attendance minimum is set out in the entry criteria, it is expected that as swimmers improve, they will attend all available sessions.
Movement between squads will be flexible in order to meet both the requirements of individual swimmers and the general abilities of the squad. For example, a swimmer may be invited to move to the next squad for a short period of time, and then moved back to their original squad. Such flexibility is required so that the individual swimmer is not over-trained, injured or otherwise adversely affected. Swimmers who positively embrace this flexibility between squads will generally flourish in the long term.
Note: The criteria and targets do not mean automatic movement when gained by a swimmer; they are merely the targets required to be achieved by the swimmer to be considered for movement. Successful swimmers are those that meet the criteria consistently. Squad moves will also be based on the ability to train within a squad, swimmer coachability, positive attitude, training regularly, competing in recognised club competitions and space available within each squad.
Generic Criteria applicable to all squads:
- The swimmer shall compete in team and in open competitions as indicated by the Coach and Team Manager.
- The swimmer shall compete in the club championships.
- The swimmer shall have the ability to cope with training demands of the squad, completing all sets as directed.
- The swimmer shall be punctual for all sessions, arriving on poolside fully prepared, 5 minutes before the session start time.
- The swimmer shall behave at all times and be respectful to other swimmers and the coaching staff.
- The swimmer shall be committed and have a positive attitude to make the best of the opportunities the club/coach provides.
- The swimmer shall be prepared to attend land training and to perform dynamic and static stretches as directed by the coach.
The coach may introduce a small number of swimmers to the squad who they believe have potential, although they may not make all of the relevant criteria. The coach may also introduce swimmers for short periods to provide an opportunity to gain experience or benefit in their development.
The Coach may waive any of the criteria at their sole discretion